Sunday, May 10, 2009

[Up] the Hill and Far Away


About a month and a half ago (yes, I'm in a time warp), I took a trip with a couple girlfriends to the J. Paul Getty museum. It looks like this:
but that's not the view I know and love. I couldn't find a photo and I've never taken any. :(


Regardless, I actually have seen very few things INSIDE the museum, as I always end up just taking a walk around the grounds and looking at the flowers.
Here are a few photos I took:
Above, please note the soft red against the pale green. What a stunning combination. I should wear green more often, I think...


Above: I've never seen an orange cactus before.
I think the main reason I took it was for the fuzzy things in the centre of the picture, but I can't exactly remember how they looked close up right now.

To the right:
the solitary beauty stands aloof
her soft pink inner shell unrivaled
tall and slender, there, she models
setting her body lines just so
exploiting the background, light,
turning so her perfect blush
draws the eye, invites a smile
she'll raise one eyebrow in a moment
querying, to test the admirers of her display...
this one will always want attention

Here's little ol' me. Back when my hair was a smidge longer. Ah, there is my beloved Yankees cap. Remember, I am a pre-A-Rod Yank fan. Now, anybody but the Red Sox winning it all is just fine.

Below: "Girl Watching Water"

It's an inside joke, so please don't ask. But I will tell anyway: We'd just seen all these pictures, and when we came out and saw the fountain, I thought, wow, I could be in one of those pictures, you know, from behind, a girl laying on the pavement, watching the spray of water as it endlessly shoots . If you bend down far enough it looks like one stream of water is shooting over, making a wee tunnel of sorts. Anyway, so I could imagine an impressionist painting of me, wearing a skirt, with my legs bent at the knee, calves crossed, watching the water. Of course this is not what it would look like, it just looks like me being silly at the Getty. But there really was a purpose behind it!


Oh, the indulgences we grant ourselves....
And on that happy note,
'til next time!

No comments: