Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Well, I have a red nose, so I'm halfway there. Sheesh, it is so COLD in my apartment! Seriously, I have three shirts, a sweater, and slippers on and I am still a little icicle!

Anyway, what prompted this post was that I heard this awful rendition of "Rudolph" this year. Or is it Rudolf? Never sure. The point is that I heard the song, and it reminded me of the days when my sibs and I were the only people who said "like toothpaste" at the end of the song instead of "like Columbus." Columbus? Please. Toothpaste is *so* much better than tobacco.

Regardless, it occurred to me that the song totally reinforces all the negative things about being a little kid, and yet a lot of little kids really like that song. How ironic! I mean, if you were a sad scrawny reindeer who did not conform to the 'norm' and who got bullied, emotionally abused, and ostracized, and then an imaginary fat man wanted to exploit your natural assets (the red bulb of a nose that is apparently neon in fluorescence), how would you react? And then when all the two-faced snobbery 'deer fell upon you in fake adoration, would you fall for the flattery or be suspicious, thinking, gosh, ten minutes ago, you all hated me and were making my life miserable, and now you want to make all nicey-nice and pretend we're best buddies? *I think not.*

So. I love Christmas carols and songs. Not all, but most. So this Christmas, sing away, loud and clear. Even if you do choose to sing about Rudolph.

No comments: