Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sad Songs and Waltzes [Are] Selling This Year

And every other year, apparently. Last night I was with R and J and we were singing traditional Irish folk songs. It occurred to me that besides "All for me Grog" they were, uniformly, beautiful and sad. (I don't count the sea chanties....sorry.)

And then came a litany of sad songs. Think about it. Most really really popular bands, they have one sad song. Probably if you know at least one song of the band's, it's a sad song. Every big name has at least one trademark sad song. Here are a few of my selected examples, combined with a couple of exceptions to the list.

Notice, there is no one "new" in this list. That's because you have to be a time-tested, enduring musical presence in order to be counted on this list. Not everybody has to like what you do, but anything post-80s doesn't count at all.

Sad Songs by Big Names
1. Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin
2. Imagine, John Lennon
3. Leavin' on a Jetplane, John Denver
4. Puff the Magic Dragon, Peter Paul & Mary
5. So Far Away, Carole King
6. Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Gordon Lightfoot
7. Billie Jean, Michael Jackson
8. Major Tom, David Bowie
9. My Heart will go on, Celine Dion (this breaks the 80s rule but dang, she's been singing for a LONG TIME)
10. Howard Jones - No One Is to Blame (though I'd rather listen to Everlasting Love)
11. Poison - Every Rose Has its Thorn (though I really don't think Poison merits being on the "great" list, this is their one song everyone knows, and it is sad)
12. Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer (and most of their other songs)
13. Fleetwood Mac - Landslide
14. Tiny Dancer/Candle In the Wind, Elton John
15. She's Always A Woman, Billy Joel. There are a lot of other ones from him that are really well-known, too...like Piano Man, anyone?
16. You're So Vain, Carly Simon
17. Faithfully - Journey (being faithful isn't sad, but all the words are sad, as is the general feeling of the song)
18. Hotel California - Eagles
19. Horse With No Name - America




Exceptions to the Rule
1. Beach Boys (Surfin' and Barbara Ann don't count, though "Help me Rhonda" does nearly get on the Pathetic list. Don't get me wrong, I love that song as much as anyone else as far as its singing in the car qualities go, but Rhonda is just a fool if she falls for that line....)
2. ABBA (Dancing Queen is their #1, which isn't sad, but Fernando is fairly well known, and it definitely is - so are a lot of their other hits)

I know I left out a great many. And of course, my point was to prove that sad songs really do sell, so admittedly, my exceptions list is a little small. But seriously, name me some big names that are always happy!! Let's make a whole list.

2 comments:

Sealion II said...

Is Carole King's "Landslide" a cover of the Fleetwood Mac song?

Em Elle Oh said...

indeed, it is...how embarrassing. will fix asap.