Saturday, September 10, 2016

teaching boys to fish

There have been lots of ... how can I say this ...  character building opportunities in my life lately. Everyone at my house has been adjusting to being together again after a summer hiatus, and that takes time, patience, and understanding from everyone. The kids have come to roll their eyes at my new mantra regarding skill-building and following through: "We are teaching boys to fish." There have also been a few good things.

My garden is going crazy (in a good way). I learned so much what NOT to do for next year. I have only had to go to the store twice in the couple of weeks because we are able to get so much goodness from our garden. I have had fresh peaches every day for almost three weeks now -- or nectarines. My choice! (Thanks to the generosity of my mother.) I have great hopes and aspirations for the 2017 growing season. I realize I never did post photos of my garden -- they're stuck in an unfinished blog post somewhere.

This morning, after breakfast of waffles, bacon, whipped cream and peaches, the boys were trying to delay the inevitability of Saturday chores. They sure know how to get me to go along with it: they sweetly each put their heads on my lap and one pretended to be a cat and the other pretended to be a dog. My boys are so kind and loving. They have a wonderful example to follow -- their dad is always trying to give me the best of everything, whether it's the larger "half" of the dessert, the bacon the way I like it, first dibs on dinner food, and opening the door. They are all very protective and loving. L especially does not like it when I am hurt, and is super gallant -- always opening doors for me and ushering me through. N also gives me hugs whenever I like and knows just what to say to cheer me up.

Soon, the boys won't want to sit in my lap or hold my hand voluntarily as we walk down the road on the way home from the school bus. They are growing up. Every day they can handle a little more. They have had a lot to deal with in the last 18 months, and all things considered, they are doing marvelously.

Teaching boys to fish is hard. But when they bring me the fish they've caught, it brings a sense of satisfaction and happiness that cannot be replicated. My family is my struggle and my joy -- just as God meant it to be. And although some days are hard, the sweet love we have in our home is worth it. Everyone contributes -- everyone here is fishing for love. Good thing our lake house is stocked!

2 comments:

Tazendra said...

I'm glad your garden is thriving. Yay fresh peaches and nectarines! :) I'm also glad adjusting to a new family is also going really well. Keep it going!! Good luck! ;)

rita-chan said...

I second Tazendra. So glad you could visit!