Monday, November 18, 2019

avocado

Sometimes nothing will do except to have an avocado with a meal.

I used to despise avocado. Growing up, I can't really remember having them in the house. It seems avocados are much more readily available than they used to be. I had no idea what one looked like for a really long time, and I was embarrassingly old the first time I heard about guacamole, and even more embarrassingly old the first time I tried it. I was over 25 the first time I made my own.

Avocados have caused a lot of environmental problems, though, because as they have gained in popularity, the question of "What to do with those Annoying Pits?" (or are they seeds?) has become a rather large North American ecological issue, as said annoying pits take forever to de-compose in the compost and are basically an ecological menace, kind of like the Greek yogurt second-strain leavings...but that's another post for another time.

I hadn't even thought about the ginormous pit piles that must be growing outside of places like processing plants for Wholly Guacamole.  I read an interesting article here.

It really is amazing what people can come up with. I wish I had really good ideas like that and the gumption to make a business and go for it.

By the way, while I was pregnant with my first baby, I discovered that an avocado with some salt mixed with salsa (San Juan Co. is my favorite, but Pace sauce will do in a pinch) and some chips is a very steadying lunch. You should try it sometime.

No comments: