Friday, October 1, 2010

by the numbers

Okay. I had some random thoughts.

1. I thought about Lamb Chop. You know, that character that the ventriloquist, whose name I think is Sherri, but actually isn't - the one with the bright copper hair - and I was marveling that these days one could never have a show with the main character called Lamb Chop. It's violent. It's meaty. It's discriminatory. It could promote gang violence. (Eh?) There's no way that in this current PC world a kid's show could do that. What is the world coming to? I mean, clearly it was in trouble, that producers got so desperate as to have a Lamb Chop in the first place....

*groans and hides my face in my hands* Oh my. The things I think of.

2. I am losing my touch. I made a resolution to go online and do at least one algebra problem a day...just so I don't forget how. I think if I had to take the ACT again tomorrow I would probably get a 12. I got out my pencil and paper at work today and started jotting down during my lunch hour. I had forgotten the satisfaction of working the numbers by hand, of the aha! when you solve for x. Or y. Or both. I am by no means to quadratic equations yet (I just started out with 3x + y = 8 or something like that), but I plan to do it. You just never know when you will have to whip out those skillz.

3. I have a song of the week. It really does last about a week. I listen to it an insane amount of times for seven days. Often it's the first thing I put on when I get up, and the last thing I hear before I go to bed. It runs through my head over and over. I nod my head at work and deconstruct rhythm in my head.

I remember entire sequences of events by weeks. It's why I have a SOTW calendar. Like, this week it's the Beatles' "I'm Looking Through You" - but this is the version you should listen to. Not the other, slower one. Bleh. It's the week of bbq @ conference and the $15MM water fund line of credit I've been trying to underwrite. Last week, it was this. It ran through my head, loop after loop, like a complicated puzzle, while I sat and decoded budgets. The week before, it was this one. This last one reminds me of R for some reason. Can't say why. Maybe it's the "alabama, Arkansas" part...

1 comment:

Mike Sørensen said...

Shari Lewis.

X & Y both =2 in your example.

And songs....I can't help you there, I'm pretty lucky if I have a song that sticks with me until it's over. Although at work, when I get up from my desk, I hit pause, then I wander around singing that song, having no clue where I've heard it, until I get back to my desk and hit "play". Such is the life of a phone-rep: Subliminal Musical Experience. It's a good thing I don't listen to commercial radio; with all those commercials, I'd be dead broke.....






.....if I wasn't already, I mean....