Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sierra Leone (not the country)

So, I would like to think that I'm a pretty smart person. Able to (perhaps with some tutoring, depending on the subject) understand concepts and theories and put them selectively into practice. Usually Wiki is great for helping me in my quest to become a more educated individual.

For example, you can find out when almost every ship in the US Navy was commissioned and whether it's still in active service or not; you can find out about the Defenestration of Prague and other historical events; you can find out the discography of even a prolific artist (like Gordon Lightfoot! Who I finally saw in person! but that is for another blog post); and you can look up mathematical formulas and business strategems. What a great tool.

But every once in awhile, there's Wiki Fail. Sometimes, we make wiki fail on purpose. For example, making certain assertions about a certain player from a certain hockey team and his lack of ethics in his hitting and taunting practices. (He shall remain nameless in order to allow him protection.) And then other people fix it! To take out bias and the like.

Sometimes Wiki is just darned confusing. Or maybe I was just dazed and confused when I read the article on dubstep. A friend of mine sent me a song and I listened to it, and I hadn't really ever heard of dubstep before so I looked it up to see how it was done, etc. And the result was sort of confusing. But I like the song anyway! It's this one. 

Pretty cool, especially when you listen with surround sound speakers like mah sistah has. Of course, five minutes is about all I can handle, but this particular one is an interesting mix of ethereal and dark.

So really this isn't about dubstep at all. It's about the fact that I like music, that Wiki fails sometimes, and that I like learning. Thanks for 'learning' along with me.

No comments: