Saturday, March 3, 2012

XYB, PDQ

On Monday, I woke up and thought I was going to immediately expire from the sheer exhaustion that overcame me as soon as I opened my eyes. I struggled into my clothes, and made it to work in a moderately timely fashion.

On Tuesday, I woke up and wished that I could just have five more minutes...so I took five more minutes of precious sleep time. And then five more. And then five more. And then I had to get out of bed. I blearily selected my outfit, thinking that my standard of slacks and a button down shirt would suffice. So that's what I wore. I went to work and felt better by the time I arrived. (Something about endorphins...) Typing along, fact-checking, etc., was fine until I decided to use the ladies room and walked in. Normally I don't look at myself in the mirror but this time I did and it was probably a good thing because the bottom button of my shirt wasn't buttoned. Oops. So I remedied the situation and continued with my normal routine.

On Wednesday, I don't think my alarm went off at all. Or rather, it did, but it was in another room, so I woke up in a panic...and I wish I could say I immediately shot out of bed when I saw that my body's alarm clock was approximately 30 minutes after my physical alarm clock was set to go off, but I did not. It took about three minutes for me to haul myself out of the warm cave of covers I had built myself. I started to prepare lunch but then remembered I hadn't gotten dressed yet, so I took care of that, then finished, and trundled out the door only to find that it was snowing. And then it started snowing sideways. I was feeling a mite underprepared, wondering if this would turn into a full-on blizzard. (It didn't.) But when I got to work, I went to fill my water bottle up but for some reason I decided to stop off at the bathroom first to wash my hands. Again, it was a good thing that I did, and that I looked in the mirror, because today, I had gotten sidetracked and forgotten to button the last two buttons of my shirt. I sighed and used the skill I learned when I was about three years old, rolled my eyes, and drank my water.

On Thursday, I woke up early squirrelly for a pre-work dentist appointment. (No cavities...yay!) and decided that I better wear a shirt without buttons on it, just to be on the safe side. Two buttons might go undetected while I was sitting at my desk, but my brain was awake enough to realize that if the pattern continued, three buttons would *not* go unnoticed. (Who knows how many buttons I would have forgotten, since I left my house before 7am.!) The no-button thing worked out pretty well for me that day. Well enough that I tried the same tactic on Friday, with equal success.

Maybe next week I'll go back to buttons...

No comments: