Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Not A Sanctioned Activity


I recently had a hilarious conversation with a friend of mine...I hope she won't mind if I write about it here.

We had a conversation about a boy we both knew in junior high/high school. Neither of us liked him very much at the time, or even since, really... (I once threatened to hit him with a yardstick. I'm not normally a violent person, and I'm not really sure I actually would have done it, but I was so mad at him at the time...it's safe to say he was my nemesis.)

Anyway. I told her that although I haven't seen him in ten years (oh, that makes me feel old), and I'm not sure I would recognize him if I saw him on the street, for some reason, he's kind of stuck with me, and for whatever reason I've actually had a few dreams where I married him. I think about him and if he's doing fine upon occasion, which is far more often than I ever thought I'd think about him at all.

This is funny because she says she's had dreams about him too, in the past. Never that she married him, but occasionally that they were dating. She texted me the other day to say that she had another dream about him just a few days ago, after our conversation.

It was even more funny because the same night she had a dream, I also had a dream. I had a dream I had been kissing someone, I don't know who (which was a little unsettling...I don't really like kissing dreams, I'd rather be conscious when I kiss people). And then suddenly I was in the garden, in my parent's backyard, kissing the leaf of a plant. (This wasn't unsettling, as this is how dreams go sometimes.) My five-year-old nephew was next to me. I said something completely inane, like, "Oh look, I kissed a leaf" and he just looked over at me with his big earnest blue eyes in his cute cute little face and said, in utter seriousness, "Kissing isn't sanctioned."

I was so surprised that I laughed myself awake, and had to pinch myself to make sure he wasn't there in the room with me, and I was sad I couldn't kiss his sweet cheek and tell him that under many circumstances, I heartily agreed.

No comments: