Monday, January 28, 2013

Chicken Hickeys

On Thursday, I did the Thing You Should Never Do: I went to the grocery store hungry.

As a direct result of this mistake, I bought not one, but two rotisserie chickens for my dinner. Two. Whole. Chickens. Buh-GAWK!?! (insert bug-eyed chicken here)

I can barely eat a quarter of a chicken in one meal, much less two whole ones!! (In my defense, I was competing in Iron Chef and was planning on making a chicken soup...but still...that's a lot of chicken.)

I was texting a friend to tell him about it, bemoaning my mental insistence that two chickens in the hand is better than one in the proverbial bush, and I typed, "I bought two chickens for my dinner tonight."

At least, that's what I thought I was typing. Auto-correct jumped in, and for some reason inserted "hickeys" where "chicken" should have been.

Awkward.

So it read: "I got two hickeys for my dinner tonight."

Oops.

But because I'm resourceful, I managed to not dwell on the possible embarrassment; instead, I made a joke about how I was going to have chicken hickeys, and it's kind of become a thing. Kind of like "just fine" when someone asks you, "How do you feel about that?" (It's an inside family joke...sorry for those of you who aren't familiar.) So instead of "Beef: it's what's for dinner" it's now, "Are you having chicken hickeys?"

So: Here is the recipe for chicken hickeys:

3 oz Tribe hummus (classic) or make-your-own
1 handful Stacy's multi-grain pita chips
1 handful of spinach
1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper
1/3 cucumber, sliced/diced in quarters
3 oz chicken bits

Prep time: 2 minutes
Bake time: 0 minutes

Take a pita chip and thinly coat it with hummus. Put 2 or 3 leaves of spinach on the hummus to make sure the spinach sticks. Put chicken bits on the spinach. Put a quarter of the cucumber on top of the spinach. Put a thin slice of bell pepper on top of that. Then pop the whole thing in your mouth. It's a beautifully addicting flavor burst.

I have a feeling if they made pita chips in the same shape as those Tostitos Scoopers that these would become a regular thing at cocktail parties. In fact, I have a dream that one day, Chicken Hickeys will make it in print somewhere as a bona fide menu item. They're that good.

No comments: