Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Career Choices

Recently I took one of those quizzes that has been floating around on facebook. This one was about what your career really should be. I don't know what the choices were, but most of the people I know who bothered to post their results got "writer." For my own part, I would have expected to be a writer, or a man-of-all-work. But no. Instead, I got "athlete."

Yep. The girl who consistently got "needs more coordination," and "she's very smart but needs to improve on her physical skills" got the one career she would be doomed in.

It occurred to me that although I would love to be a gardener, quilter, photographer, organizer, assistant, consultant, teacher, singer, or analyst. Or writer. I could be a blogger or a short story writer or a memoir maker or a fantasy saga extraordinaire writer. I could write speeches, news articles, or historical fiction. Or even poems! But one thing I couldn't do is write mysteries. I was thinking today, after watching one of the Cadfael disks my mom sent me...how do they do it? How do mystery writers formulate the story? How do they leave clues? Is it really just that your brain knows the formula but knows the enjoyment of "discovering" the answer again, so you can just read mysteries over and over? How do they decide the sequence? The weapon, the circumstances? How do they keep enough suspense to keep you interested, but keep the story believable? I could never write mystery. I have no secrets. My face shows everything I am thinking or feeling. I am incapable of throwing people off the scent. I spoil all surprises for people I am trying to surprise.

So I guess I might not be cut out to be an athlete, but I'm not ready for the mystery world either.

I do have some career choices coming up. Wonder what I'll really end up being when I grow up?

No comments: