Saturday, February 1, 2014

Steady as the Sun

I listened to a song that had a chorus with lyrics talking about what makes a man strong. (Incidentally, "Strong" is the name of the song; Will Hoge sings it.) It's a country song, and today was the first time I heard it. I didn't hear the whole song, but what I did hear went like this:

He'll pick you up and won't let you down
Rock solid inside out
Somebody you can trust
Steady as the sun
Ain't nothing gonna knock him off the road he's rollin on
He's strong



There is more than one way to interpret some of these lines.

He'll pick you up and won't let you down
The first is negative: He'll pick you up like a sack of potatoes, throw you over his shoulder, and won't let you down even if you pummel him half to death and kick and scream.
The second is positive: He'll pick you up, emotionally, and you can always count on him to do what he says he's going to do, when he says he will do it.

For the record, I prefer the second interpretation.

  Rock solid inside out

First: he has a stomach of iron and is super chiseled.
Second, he's immovable in his opinions, only slightly worn down by weather and elements.

(I'm not sure I like either of these.)

Somebody you can trust
This one, there aren't two ways, so I like the only interpretation there is.

Steady as the sun
I view this as being "steady as the sunshine," which, if you live where I live, can really only be called "steady" about two and a half months out of every year, and I don't exactly call that steady, especially since only one of those months is guaranteed, and everything else kind of fluctuates. I get that the sun is burning up there in the sky in its happy gassy way, but if I can't see it, sometimes it's hard to remember it exists. Especially around December the twenty-first. I turned to my friend and said to her, "I don't want a man who's steady as a Northwest sun." Indeed, the first thing I thought of was that I would rather have a man who's like a neap tide...slow, inexorable, his love washing over me. Of

Ain't nothing gonna knock him off the road he's rollin on
Either he's opinionated and you can't get him to think beyond the idealistic road he has been "rolling on," meaning that he's completely narrowminded and never seems to think of even looking out the window to see if he missed something.

Or he is steadfast in purpose and he overcomes adversity and keeps going, rolling with the punches and always stands up for his moral principles, and values things like truth and justice.

Either way, he's strong.










No comments: