Wednesday, October 29, 2014

It's not Over...

As I write this, there are two outs in the top of the 9th inning, nobody on. My Giants in orange and black are clinging to a 3-2 lead, riding the coattails of MadBum's iron arm and the "nitty gritty dirt band" quality of just hanging in there.

The thing that's great about baseball is that it's not over til it's over. With two outs, nobody on, there is still a chance something can happen. It's like baseball is Pandora's box. When all hope seems lost, you're not up against the clock. You're up against your mind and the strength of the pitching arm of the opposing teams. If you get on, then the thread of hope is woven with more gossamer as everyone rooting for your team starts to believe that something, anything, will happen just to keep the game alive...extend the streak...change the game. Maybe a solo home run will turn things around, or maybe four batters will get on. Or in a 93 mph blur, your hope is dashed as strike three zips by.

Now there are just three outs left in the game...game 7 of the World Series. I have seen these Giants more times live than any other baseball team, ever. I have watched almost every game this October. I have believed. I have jumped up and down. I have hung my head and turned off the tv for stretches as I couldn't handle the blowouts. I have never given up though.

That's what I love about baseball...you should never give up until Mighty Casey, or Mini Joe, strikes out. You have to be vigilant. The little things matter. But until all three outs are called, something can happen. Rally monkeys can save the day. Bobbleheads can jiggle sinisterly and do a voodoo-like dance, intimidating the other team into submission. Whatever superstitious thing you believe, or don't believe, it can probably happen in baseball...the tides can turn. They have. They will.

It's not over til it's over. Hope is real, and can be realized. Just take the 18-inning game earlier this year. I missed the first inning but hung in the rest. I was in knots. It wasn't even an elimination game like this one is. I'm rushing to type this because right now, Royals fans are hoping, wishing, aching for it to not be over. There's just one out left. MadBum's doing his thing. Life is so much like baseball.  Like, for example, someone just hit a double. There was an error. Now it turned into a triple. It's entirely possible that with just one pitch, the tide may have turned. I just wanted the game to be over. My heart is in knots.

That's the good thing about baseball...it's not over til it's over. I'm not giving up hope on my Giants. But I can't count the Royals out...not yet. It could just be one pitch away...the count is 0-2. This is insane. I feel like I'm racing against time to write this post real-time. It's exhilarating and fun.

It's just about over...but the fat lady hasn't sung. How I can't wait to hear her aria. Other times I want to stave her off. C'est la vie, and c'est la October. Maybe next October I will be on the other side...but for this October ...

No comments: