Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Signs (I love my job!)

Sometimes, for my job, I travel to nearly-faraway tiny towns to have business meetings. It's one of the reasons I really enjoy my job.

Yesterday was such a day. My boss and I took a ferry ride and then drove along winding two-lane highways for an hour to get to one such town. It took nearly all day just to have a one-hour meeting. As he drove along, I saw several signs that made me smile. I was too slow with my camera to capture any of them, so you may doubt the veracity of this post, but I assure you, all these signs exist.

1.  Fern Gully Drive NW (a private road)
2.  Egg and I Road
3.  Uncharted Paranormal Services Offered
4.  Old Nip Lee Road

Also, at one intersection, there were some lovely old trees. To protect one tree, which had grown up like an Ettyn, someone had taken two or three construction barrels -- the things that are orange and white and reflect at night (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about) and chopped the tops off and fit them around the (very large) limbs of the tree that were slightly protruding onto the road. I guess the idea was to increase visibility and keep people from running into them. For whatever reason, I found this highly amusing. Maybe they had to resort to slicing it up the back and sewing it around the branch, but it fit quite snugly (so you can imagine how big the tree branches were).

I did manage to take a couple of photos from the car. I like how in the first one, all the grass blurs together, but the fog is still distinct. It makes a pleasant contrast in my mind. Perhaps such things are an eye candy flavor that needs some time to percolate in order to be developed/appreciated. Hmm.

The picture at the bottom is mostly sky, to be sure, but it looked quite lovely from the car. I had to chop off some of the bottom of the pic because we were trundling along at 60 mph and so the rails would have blurred the picture. The light was positively sublime in person...one of the reasons why I love where I live.

This trip also gave me many ideas for a future day/road trip and I now have many tiny stores I want to poke my head into, just to see what's there. Hopefully I'll do it soon and you'll read about my adventure here. :)




No comments: