Wednesday, November 30, 2016

phone + snippets

HH has been away the last couple of days, which has stunk a bit because I miss him, but also because I have a cold. :(

Today a glass pitcher fell on my back and then hit the floor, leaving a ginormous divet, and broke in a zillion tiny pieces and it took forever to attempt to clean up. I am hopeful HH can fix it.

Yesterday, both my kids dragged me under the mistletoe to kiss their cheeks. I am grateful for the hugs they so freely give.

I am grateful that I have nieces and nephews, sisters and brothers. Today I am Auntie x11. I've met a couple of my nieces (who are actually closer to my age than my kids') only a couple of times, but I am excited to meet the new little guy who joined the world today. Each child in my family is lovely and unique. I am so grateful for all I learned about being a mom from watching my siblings be parents. I would like to give a special shout out to K and IGPM and their parents for allowing me to be so bossy and interfering all these years. :)

I was thinking about how I like talking to my family, and I called HH today to check in, and gave the phone to my kids. I realized something after about five seconds: my kids don't know how to use the phone. It's hilarious. They hold the phone six inches away from their mouth (not their ear) and don't know how to put it on speakerphone. I tried to put it next to L's ear and he looked at me like, "what are you doing, Mom?" It's so strange to me. I saw my mom on the phone all the time, and I'm sure I had made a zillion phone calls to Dad's office, my childhood friend's houses, and whoever else would pick up the phone, by the time I was ten. It's so interesting to me that their technology is not phone, but video, and they have no idea what to do with just a plain old audio device.

Here's to phones. Here's to communications. Here's to good old-fashioned audio devices.

No comments: