Tuesday, May 17, 2016

give a little bit

I've been sick the last while. Basically, it seems like we got home from the honeymoon and I've not been quite myself since. It's a little frustrating, but it has given my husband the chance to showcase his "taking care of me" abilities -- and he has shone brighter than any star that he is great at it.

He has had a few things, too -- he hurt his foot, and also one of the kids accidentally bonked him pretty good. But instead of complaining about it a lot, like I would (and like I do, when bad things happen - :/ ) he just gives a little bit more. He pushes himself to take care of me and do things for our family...and by doing so, I want to push myself harder to be kind, to look for opportunities, to be more aware of the needs of the kids and of his needs, and to even be more aware of my own needs and how I can meet them more efficiently so I can give just a little bit back.

Supertramp had it right:

There's so much that we need to share
Send a smile and show you care

Give a little bit
Give a little bit of your love to me
I'll give a little bit of my life for you
Now's the time that we need to share
So find yourself [we're on our way back home.]

Sometimes sharing lets us find ourselves - the small nuggets of clarity or flashes of insight that we wouldn't get if we weren't thinking about meeting someone else's needs. Sometimes, a smile can go a long way to helping yourself, or the people around you, feel better. With a new marriage, new house, new working situation, and new responsibilities (including parenting two children), it's hard to feel like there is even just one more little bit at all left to give. But in giving all the rest, you get so many smiles and hugs and cuddles and love and finding yourself.

Giving is great. I'm going to go give my husband a hug. 

No comments: