Tuesday, March 18, 2014

No Outlet

Outlets:
1. Electrical: It's really frustrating when you go somewhere, say, a hotel room, and there isn't an electrical outlet in a convenient place, so you can both look at your phone and charge it at the same time. Or if there's a bathroom that doesn't have an electrical socket.
2. Verbal: Sometimes your brain just gets too full of stuff so it has to overflow, and sometimes it does by what is known in Mean Girls  as "word vomit." It just bubbles up. Uncontrollably. You can't stop yourself from saying something even if it's terrible horrible and/or inappropriate. Finding ways to stem the verbal tide before you turn into that one lady villain in that one folk tale is really important.
3. Physical: Being able to move and wear yourself out physically so you are tired and want to go to bed is genius. Having a way to use your energy so you don't have to keep all the stress bottled up inside of you definitely counts as an outlet.

I have enough electrical outlets in my life right now. And I am grateful that I have some verbal outlets, too...but right now, because I had an ankle wrench, I don't have a physical outlet. I'm pretty much a boring blah on the couch. I really don't like it at all. Especially when I have a lot of stress built up and I literally feel the need to go *do* something. Anything, just to make my body as tired as my mind is. Keep in mind, I'm really not one to go to the gym, and I'm naturally a pretty sedentary person. All of my hobbies are indoor and fairly stationary: reading, quilting, guitaring, writing, even gaming. Cooking, too. So when I feel the need to go wandering, it's pretty bad. But because of my ankle, I can't exercise. It makes me feel jittery to sit around inside with comparatively so much more physical energy than emotional energy. Not having an outlet for the physical needs I have is really frustrating, and I'm not sure I can take it for much longer. I hope my monkey-wrenched ankle heals soon so I can be walking, not hobbling, soon.

No comments: