Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Rock On, Goldilocks

Hey kid, rock and roll / Rock on, ooh, my soul
Hey kid, boogey too, did ya / Hey shout, summertime blues
Jump up and down in them blue suede shoes
Hey kid, rock and roll, rock on

And where do we go from here / Which is the way that's clear


Still looking for that blue jean, baby queen / Prettiest girl I ever seen See her shake on the movie screen, Jimmy Dean / James Dean

etc.

-"Rock On," David Essex, 1973

Sometimes I hear that song on the radio. The only lines I know are the bridge, the endless "rock on" litany at the end of the song, and the two lines I've bolded. For some irrational reason, this song has always made me want to have a pair of blue suede shoes to jump up and down in. And so for some irrational reason,when I had a gift card I needed to use up, and I found these blue jean baby queens on the almighty Amazon, I could not resist.

I have considered buying frivolous shoes before. Once, I even came very close. I was in high school and for some reason I wanted a pair of 4" high silver shoes that were basically only held on to my feet by a band of clear plastic over my toes. I really wanted those shoes, but my practicality won out. I have to say, I'm kind of glad, as they really weren't "me" and as you can really only buy one pair of absolutely frivol shoes in your lifetime, I'm really glad I didn't waste mine on that.

These are much, much better. Heels just the right height, toes with just the right amount of point, suede that's just the right color of blue. It's like I was Goldilocks, but instead of eating porridge, I was searching for just the right shoes. (Anyone who has been shoe shopping with me knows that sometimes there aren't just three bears in the story...it's more like six or seven, with lots of side trips and suitable distractions thrown in for good measure.)

Having found the perfect fit, I waited impatiently for them to arrive, and as soon as they did, I slipped them on, and did, indeed, jump up and down in them, and had a dance party.

For those interested, neither David Essex nor Jimmy Dean attended.






No comments: