Sunday, May 11, 2014

art

In my apartment, I have (on the walls)

1 original painting I did by myself
1 original painting my friends and I collaborated on
3 original coast scenes
1 family picture collage
1 scenic tourism picture collage
2 limited edition prints
1 framed map
1 framed landscape (with the requisite cow, of course)
1 etching that hung in my bedroom when I was a little girl

I look forward to getting a "where the wild things are" print in the future. I would also love a Japanese scroll painting, the kind that have muted blues and greens in them and have mountains, trees, and elegant birds in them. (No people allowed, of course.)

Last night I went to an art walk, where a bunch of galleries stay open a little later than usual and kind of try to work together to sell a lot of art. One of the galleries was having a show of miniatures...most were no bigger than 4"x4". The brush strokes were incredible; for some of the detail, I'm sure that the artist used brushes that were no bigger than five hairs, and there were about 300 of them on the wall. I decided one day it might be cool to have a bunch of miniatures. There were a few that I really liked, and I still may go in and buy one, but I have to think about it. There's only so much wall space in a place, and only so many dollars in my pocket. But it was fun to go and see what's there and know that there is creativity alive and well. Sometimes, I get so bogged down in the every-day that I forget about the beauty of art. But I'm remembering this week!

No comments: