Monday, June 16, 2014

birds, not on wires


On a recent walk I took with my sister, who I have nicknamed after a bird, I saw a couple of birds that I have never seen before. One was black, one was brown. One was alive, the other was dead. Sometimes you can slow down and notice mundane things when you're with people you love. I knew the general type of one of the birds (the dead one, which was clearly an owl, even to the untrained eye), but I had no clue on the other. There were a couple of the black-red-orange birds hanging out on some cattails, but the owl was solitary. It was strange; the owl must have died fairly recently. He (she?) was right under a telephone wire, just next to a phone, so I wondered if maybe he had been on a wire and gotten electrocuted, or something. But the body hadn't decomposed at all - for which I was grateful - but the body seemed really awkward. By the way, owls have ginormous talons. Just saying. You can't see them well in this shot, but they're there, and if I were a mouse, I would have trembled in terror.

Here's the black bird in action.

I think as I get older, I'm changing. I used to hate birds. HATE them. With an intense and gloriously-fire-hot passion. But now I kind of admire them. (Except crows...shudder. The other day, I saw an entire murder of them. We're talking, fifty of the things in one tree, caw-ing up a macabre to-do. It was uber creepy, I'm not going to lie.) They have to try to hard to adapt in this crazy world we live in. They find interesting hiding places and manage to hide from cats and humans and other birds and airplanes and snakes and all other sorts of bird-eating things. So really, it's amazing that there are any left at all. Except pigeons and crows. One species seems too dumb to die out and the other seems too smart to allow itself to become trapped.

*And how about I throw in a random picture of a beautiful moon on a beautiful warm night in central Washington to round things off?





2 comments:

wuxiheather said...

I hate birds. They freak me out. Although I love owls, so perhaps my feelings about birds are also evolving. My neighbor 2 houses up feeds the pigeons. Daily. Multiple times. She is CRAY-CRAY! Seriously though, super frustrating having a million pigeons in the neighborhood. Everyone is annoyed but apparently there is nothing we can do about it. My friend's husband, who lives one house up from the crazy lady, sometimes comes out with his bbgun and shoots them when she's not around. Lol. UGH PIGEONS!

Sealion II said...

That's a red-winged blackbird (original name, no?). Sitting on top of reeds and fences and low shrubs is kinda their thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-winged_blackbird

The owl is…maybe a Western screech owl? Great horned owl? Hard to be sure from that angle, although the talon size makes me think it might be a great horned owl.