Tuesday, July 29, 2014

book family

My niece and nephew came to see me recently. Because my sister and I grew up in the same house, we have some of the same books...some similar sets of memories from having the same source of reading material.

Personal libraries are important...seeing what books people have lets me know their taste and books make me comfortable. If I go to someone's house and see books I know on the wall, it's almost like I have friends at the party, even if I don't know a single person there.

Which is why it gave me so much pleasure that my niece and nephew felt so comfortable at my house. There were books that were familiar to them -- books they instantly recognized -- and they also had some new books to choose from. That's the beauty of books, of sisters, of nieces and nephews, and a shared book pool back in the day.

I love books, and I love my family. And I love how both can make me comfortable, touch me in ways I never thought possible, and push me to think of new ideas.

No comments: