Thursday, July 31, 2014

"Stars"

I used to drive to Mercer Island fairly frequently, and I would always marvel at the unique tone of light in the sky over Lake Washington that you see at the time the sun goes down. When I moved away, I knew it would be one of the things I missed most.

One of the things that I liked about living in suburbia was that I could see the stars. City living isn't exactly conducive to stargazing, you know. So I thought I would miss the stars.

Lately I was doodling along on the interwebz and I came across this link. At first I was incredulous, and my reaction was immediate indignation that Simon would roll his eyes, and then they started singing, and I was blown away. I just wish all the screaming girls would be quiet so I could have heard the 'faultlessness' of their performance.

Here, for your listening pleasure:

I don't remember ever hearing this song before. As soon as they started singing, I knew it had to be from a musical, but for the life of me, I had no idea which one. I've probably watched the video five times, and I still get goosebumps every time. They're just so....young, hopeful...sincere. I hope they keep their innocence and stick to their guns.

I watched it earlier tonight, and then I went outside to water my tiny garden, I looked up, a smile on my face. Night is my favorite time here. I love stepping out on my balcony, sensing the quieting of the world. The air is still and almost sweet. There's a summertime tang that I love. I straightened from watering, and there it was: the Big Dipper. Low, clear, right in my line of vision. Immediately, a smile was on my face, and I thought about the line, "you are the sentinels, silent and sure, keeping watch in the night. you know your place in the sky, you hold your course and your aim, and each of your seasons returns and returns, and it's always the same." It's not always the same...every season is different, and the Big Dipper looks different depending on where you are. Tonight, I was just grateful that I could see the stars at all. I had a bad day, and was feeling pretty blue. But then I thought, you can see the stars. Things will get better.

I hope I'm right, and that things do get better, and that I can hold my course and my aim as I go through this season of change.

No comments: