Monday, July 7, 2014

summer salad adventures

I'm eating lots of salad this summer.

Lots.

I seem to have a particular fixation on taco salad. I blame Peeks, because whenever we got together for dinner, we'd either have pizza (Papa John's, at her request; chicken bacon bbq pineapple onion) or taco salad that we made ourselves, because apparently, there is no good taco salad joint in all of P-town suburbia.





Above are two salads:

L: Taco Salad Extraordinaire: Special Chili Edition
1/2 orange pepper
2 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1 cob's worth of corn
4 oz lettuce
4 oz crock pot southwestern black bean chili
1/2 avocado
2 green onions
Salsa, to taste (I love Emerald Valley mild. It's the yummiest thing ever. Ever. I will go out of my way to buy it...and that's saying something.)
chips, on the side

R: Curry Jumble Salad
1 carrot
1/2 small yellow summer squash
1/2 small zucchini
3 chicken tenders
1 tsp south african style curry (sweet? mild?)
1/4 cup milk
4 oz greens
1 dash poppy seeds
1 medium onion
salt, to taste

(basically, cook the onion and the chicken together and put the spices on it. I did mine in butter. Then add the carrots, then zucchini and summer squash. Then add the milk to keep everything from drying out.) You know...in typical jumble style.

Both are yummy. YUMMY, I tell you!

I wish I had more energy. I would cook lots more often.  I need new cooking ideas. The problem is that I usually have to see somebody do something before I can incorporate it into my own. That means I need to have lots of dinner invites where I see the prep actually happen. Thanks to all the wonderful cooks who have helped me stumble along the path to good food.

I'm going to try something new soon...and when I do, I'll post it.


No comments: